Sunday, December 27, 2009

a real mama

I have discovered something this weekend. I don't know why this is but something about having sick babies makes you feel like a real mama. It started at 2am Christmas morning when Sadie started crying. Usually Steven handles her in the middle of the night since Eli is always my job (I got the raw end of the deal on that one), but he came back to bed and said she was burning up. I took her temperature and sure enough - 103.7. I spent most of the night in her bed then eventually moved her to ours since she was so pitiful. Steven made the comment that it was probably the last Christmas morning in a while that we would be in the bed until almost 9am. She rallied some when the Tylenol kicked in and did enjoy Christmas, her grandparents, and her new presents. But a good portion of the day all she wanted was to be in my arms....which was kind of like a Christmas present to me. We both napped curled up together that afternoon and she slept in our bed again that night and finally started feeling better yesterday, right about the time Eli spiked a fever. He landed his little febrile self in our bed last night and I barely got to put him down long enough to brush my teeth this morning. Even though I am exhausted and do want my babies to be well again, when they are feeling bad and too little to know why it validates me somehow to be able to provide them comfort. Maybe it's being so needed that makes motherhood all the more real. I do love being a mother. And a wife, of course. But I do hope Steven is not next because husbands are not nearly as sweet when they are sick....
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, I will post some belated Christmas pics soon,
Love,
Sallie

No comments:

Post a Comment