Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snow!

It's funny how having kids makes you remember how fun things used to be, but at the same time gives you a different perspective on how things really were for your parents. Snow is a good example of this. As a kid I used to get sooooo excited over the prospect of snow. Waking up and running to the window to see if the forecast was correct... if there was a white blanket out there it was almost as exciting as Christmas morning. Getting out of school, sledding, it was all just sort of magical. As I got older and was in college it all began to change. I remember a big snow in Charlotte when I was in nursing school. My classes were cancelled but all I did that day was study. "How boring!" (a younger version of myself would have chastised). Then as I became a nurse snow turned into an inconvenience, I still had to work but now just came the challenge of safely getting there. This week, however, we got a pretty decent snow in Pleasant Garden. Saturday morning we searched for warm clothes and dressed the kids and ourselves in layers, then headed out. That might sound easy, but by the time we were actually ready to walk out the door I was ready to can the whole thing. Sadie couldn't get her thumb in the right spot of her gloves, Eli was fussing, etc... But, we did it, and it all came rushing back to me of why snow is so much fun. Eli stopped crying and was happy as a lark out there, even though his little nose was freezing. Sadie had a blast, playing with the neighborhood friends and sledding behind the 4 wheeler. Her pants were soaked by the time we came in for lunch but it was well worth it. We warmed up and ate lunch and I again remembered the magic and the beauty, of snow....









Happy winter, everyone!!! Go out and enjoy playing in the snow, if you have any.
Love,
Sallie


No comments:

Post a Comment