Thursday, February 9, 2012

Productivity

Another title I thought about for this post was "Quality and Quantity" but that reminded me too much of school so I chose the first one. I would like to think as I've gotten older that I've become a little more organized as a person, a little neater, maybe, than I was as a kid. If you knew me as a teenager I'm sure you would say that I couldn't have gotten any worse (rarely could you see the floor in my room), but compared to some people I know I'm still pretty disorganized and "messy." I don't know if I just didn't care or I didn't know how to keep a room picked up, but even when Steven and I were first married I only seemed to really clean the house well for company. Now I look back on that and think - what in the world did I do all the time? Did I really not have time to pick up my clothes off the floor? For some reason, with every child I have had the desire for my house to be clean has grown. As most of you know, those two things (children and cleanliness) do NOT go hand in hand. I have literally entered my just cleaned house (my wonderful husband lets me pay to have the house deep cleaned every 2-4 weeks) and as I carried the infant carrier through the house there was liquid poop seeping through the carseat and dripping onto the floor, to be discovered by Sadie walking in it and letting me know her foot had something on it. If it's not poop, some kind of red sauce inevitably spills on the kitchen floor, or the kids get cracker crumbs all in the carpet. And a vehicle that carries children? Don't even get me started on how dirty that can get....real quick. So why do I care now? Maybe it's simply wanting what you can't have, and right now...that's a perfectly kept house, and being supre-productive. But what I do have, I remind myself often, is a sweet husband (who does not share my affinity for clean, it seems), and 3 precious, dirty, children. So I try to keep a balance. I try to stay somewhat organized (at least know where my wallet, cell phone, lipstick, and children are at all times). Pick up the toys at night, except for all the ones Sadie gets out in secret and hides in her bed. But some nights, like the other day when I watched each one of my children fall asleep, it just doesn't happen. I know I could do better at running this ship, there are many better Moms out there that get so much more done than I. But I am improving on my productivity...and enjoying my "non-productive" time even more. Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. That was sweet, Sallie. You are a wise woman.

    ReplyDelete