Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Recovering

Last Thursday I took Eli to the doctor for a cough and wheeze. I always second-guess myself when I go or I take my kids for a sick appointment....are we really sick enough to come? I hate going, then being sent home with a pat on the back and a "prescription" for Tylenol. But, apparently my little man was pretty sick. He had an ear infection and some significant wheezing, requiring 2 breathing treatments in the office, which was most likely RSV (a respiratory virus that looks like a cold to a healthy adult but makes kids/babies pretty sick). Unfortunately, I had to work that night so Steven got his first crash course in single parenting a sick baby. After a "lose it" moment (no judgement here, I have plenty of those) a sweet friend came over to help with the next med administration, so all in all they had a pretty good night. The next night we pulled a futon in his room and slept on the floor... Eli was delighted to look through his crib at 4am and see Mommy and Daddy right there! By the end of the weekend he was much better. I figure that every time Steven learns new parenting tips without me there it probably sticks much better, when I'm home I think he tries really hard not to learn any mommy techniques (bathing the kids, cooking, washing bottles). Tonight I walked him through making some mac and cheese on the stove (he has already mastered Easy Mac, but we are currently out of it), we are truly progessing in the Harrell household! To Steven's defense, he has the Daddy role down pat, which I would take any day over the other "Mommy duties". Sadie and Steven are getting pretty tight and Eli, even at 9 months, knows that Daddy is pretty cool. So dishes, laundry, bathtime, bring it on...I am thankful for my manly man who will get on the floor to play with the kids, be a great disciplinarian, teach Sadie Bible stories, provide a wonderful life for us, and love me. I just hope I can be the "prize" he deserves. Oh my, I'm getting mushy... I better go! Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Gracious, you are the 'prize' for without you, none of what you both hold dear would be possible! Your roles will change on any given day and all that learning will prepare you both for raising the family you will have together. No doubt Steven cherishes you as a wife and mother.
    Cathy P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me feel a bit better that even my brilliant nurse friend has those doubts about when to take the baby to the germy doctor's office! And you are so right-- we both won the lottery of husbands! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete