Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Health scares...Grandma and the womb

This will have to be quick because my hands are already tingly (is that a word?) from wishing a friend happy birthday on Facebook, I can't do much fine motor things these days without my hands going numb. Oh the joys of pregnancy! I was going to name this post "Heart attack and another squirt" but re-read it and realized that it didn't sound quite right, so Steven helped me re-name it. I was killing time at Target last Thursday after D's 18 month check up when Steven's dad called me and asked me what hospital the EMS should take Steven's grandma to for a probable heart attack. We left immediately to meet Steven's parents at the hospital - between the 2 of us this is our only grandparent left - his Mom's mother. She is 83, but not your ordinary 83. She still snow-skis and water skis, does her own yard work, plus other people's if needed (not gardening, either, I'm talking power tools here). She had actually been painting the inside of a garage until 1 am the night before. So obviously, we were quite shocked with this turn of events. I have to say I was proud of Cone Health - from the paramedics to the quick intervention through the Cardiac Cath Lab - I of course give total credit and praise to the Lord but I know He used these professionals to save her life. After a couple hours we realized she was going to pull through and from that point on the news just kept getting better and better. She was irritated the next morning because she couldn't find anywhere to plug in her curling iron. The nurse answered "Well, most ICU patients aren't too concerned with their hair and make-up." She came home 48 hours after a "massive heart attack" and seems to be doing great now. We are so thankful that it wasn't her time, and I wouldn't be surprised if she hit the slopes again sometime this winter - she's just that tough.
While Steven's grandma was in the cath lab Steven convinced me to keep my ultrasound appointment to check the placenta, and while there the doctors got worried that she isn't growing as well as she should be. At 33 1/2 weeks they estimated she was about 3 1/2 pounds. Thankfully, everything else is checking out ok but they do want to monitor me more frequently to check her well-being. I took all 3 kids yesterday for a "non-stress test", where basically they hook you up and watch the baby's heart rate compared to the movement. I was thinking "what an ironic name, this is actually pretty stressful to manage 3 kids in this little room when I can't get off the chair." Next time I'll have to bring more candy. My sweet Sadie was only 6'14 and she was 9 days late so I think I'm probably just growing another petite little girl. I am certainly eating PLENTY, I am planning on this being my last pregnancy so I'm livin' it up. I try to ignore the numbers when I get on the scale. Steven's actually been on a no-coke diet so our weights might actually meet up this time - which he will never let me live down. Hopefully not. OK, thanks to swelling and carpal tunnel I need to sign off - I'll talk about my other 3 next time - they are making me laugh a lot these days. Which is good, since I feel extra hormonal. Goodnight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment