Monday, October 3, 2011

Vipers (and a lot of poop) in diapers

My old pastor used to refer to young children as "vipers in diapers" referring, of course, to the depravity of man and how our sinfulness becomes evident pretty early in life. That is definitely the case in our kids, and if you think your children are sinless you must not be paying very good attention. Steven was asked to fill in and speak at a church down the street that we had never attended. It was a sweet group of people and Sadie had enjoyed her time in the children's church and nursery. As we were leaving I noticed she had something under her papers and discovered it was a box of crayons. I told her to put them back and, to my dismay, had to keep telling her to as she was very determined to steal the crayons. I'm sure they'll have us back, the young preacher and his thief of a daughter. :)
Meanwhile, our Eli is having a bit of trouble in the potty department. He has this pooping issue where he will go several times a day which inevitably makes his bottom red. He has learned several responses to try to get us not to change him, including "I'm not done yet!" and "it's just gas!" Once he realizes his rear is going to get cleaned, he then yells "gentle!" and "I need keem! (cream)". I told him the other day that this was ridiculous, and he needed to poop in the potty. I sat him on there and he actually peed and pooped a little - I felt like I was witnessing a birth. I was cheering, chanting "push, push"....it's amazing what I've succumbed to as a mom! Unfortunately, that was the last time we had any potty success. Oh well.
David is, as usual, perfect. The only thing he does slightly wrong is needing to eat in the middle of the night. But I'll take it as opposed to the sneaky stealer and constant pooper. I know his days are coming, too, I need to prepare myself for 3 little sinners in my care. Hopefully, I can instruct them and show them a fraction of the grace and mercy my Lord has shown me. I am daily thankful for the task and pray for His help as I lead these little ones.

1 comment:

  1. That is hilarious that you were cheering him on like it was a birth!!

    ReplyDelete