Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

As the title suggests, I just had a birthday. Yesterday, in fact. Birthdays have changed a lot over my lifetime...I no longer count down the days with anticipated joy, wondering what great presents I will receive and who all will come to my party. It's a much smaller blip on my radar now as I've become an adult. That being said, I truly did have a wonderful birthday. We recently returned from a vacation in Dayton, Tennessee, with the Harrell family. We attended Skyland Bible Conference, a great family conference that Steven and his family have been to all of his life, and more than a decade now of mine. We had great speakers, the kids had a blast despite very little sleep, it was soooo exciting for them to wake up and be across the hall from not only Grandma and Grandpa, but also their cousins. 
While I was gone I was thrilled to hear that my new niece was born. Byron and Mandy had their 4th child, a little girl, last Monday night. Since we were out of town and I worked the weekend we got back, Monday was the first chance I had to go see her. She is absolutely beautiful and we had a sweet visit with the fam in Tega Cay. I then stopped by Julie's house on my way home (she had made me some fudge...yummy) and the kids enjoyed playing with hers while my Mom and I enjoyed visiting with Julie. I dropped Mom off and headed back to Pleasant Garden where my dear mother-in-law was making me a birthday dinner. A very elaborate one complete with balloons to decorate! Two of my friends came as well last night for a "TMI reunion" (we all met the summer of 1998 while working at a camp in Virginia called The Master's Inn...aka TMI). Joni and Kristen are dear to my heart and even though our lives keep us busy it is great to spend time with them every so often. We were way overdue. We put the kids to bed (except Sadie, of course) and watched "The Bachelorette" together, which was quite entertaining. It was great spending my birthday with friends!
Steven is a wondeful husband in so many ways but flowers and gifts are not necessarily his love language. So on my birthday yesterday I got 3 of the sweetest gifts. My first bouquet of flowers was from my Daddy at lunch, he picked them from his yard and they are so sweet. I got home and Steven, too, had gotten me a dozen roses, pink and white. Then a few minutes later Joni arrives and is also carrying a beautiful bouquet of brightly colored flowers. I felt hugely blessed and will never forget this birthday and the love that was shown to me, mostly in the little things. The Lord is good and I am so thankful for the family and friends that he has placed in my life.
Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment