Saturday, April 12, 2014

Spring is finally here!

 I am sitting in our unusually quiet house while Steven studies for tomorrow, and it seems like a good time to catch up on my blogging. We just got back from a wonderful anniversary dinner to our favorite fancy place - The Melting Pot. We have such a routine, we've become like the old couple that doesn't want to try anything new. In fact, they took the cheesecake off the dessert plate and it threw us off -thankfully our waiter was nice and brought us a piece from the back at no charge. On our actual anniversary Steven was in San Francisco, CA, visiting with a couple good  high school friends of his. And the next day I snuck off (not really,of course, it had been planned for months) to a girl's weekend with three of my long-time best friends to High Rock Lake for a wonderful kid-free retreat. 

 Between the 4 of us we have 14 children and only one got to come, she was young enough to let the grown ups do all the talking and sweet to pass around and snuggle with, too. We did some cooking, slept late-ish, shopped, got pedicures, listened to a great sermon online, and talked pretty much non-stop. Old friends are the best, hands down. I'm so thankful for all the dear friends the Lord has placed in my life. He knows we need these relationships. 
 I am not very creative or artistic, my brother got all those genes in the family. I like to cross-stich because it's looks like art but it's really math. I got these chairs for free from our neigbor, though, and decided to paint one for each child. Normally my projects are like the pinterest fails but I was pretty happy with how these turned out. 
 Davd got orange for Clemson and Eli got a Wolfpack chair - which they are very happy with. Mary Jo likes to climb in them, especially when they were insde, which is much safer than her other endeavors. She started walking right at 13 months and is enjoying her new skill immensely. I'm afraid I have another climber on my hands, she loves to climb up on top of tables and still has no idea that she can fall off. Bad combo. Eli and Sadie are good about rescuing her quickly if I'm across the room, thank goodness for older siblings. Speaking of, Eli turned 5! I tried to have a little more low-key of a birthday for him this year but when you're 5 it's just a big deal, there's no way around it. He looked forward to it for weeks, and it doesn't take much to make him happy. He ate cheese dip and Krispy Kreme donuts with his cousins on his actual birthday, shared the rest of the donuts with his class the next day, then that weekend we had a big Harrell get together and celebrated with him and Steven (they were born 30 years and a few minutes apart!). 
 I still can't believe I have 2 boys. They are really enjoying each other lately and I love to watch them play together. I pray they always have a close bond.
This is my new favorite picture of Mary Jo, it just sort of sums up her developing personality. I'm sorry this post is not very exciting, but sometimes it's nice to just enjoy the mundane, everyday life. I'll never forget watching some special on TV with my Mom when I was in high school or college of a Holocaust survivor. I don't remember much of what she said except for this one quote, "I will never again take for granted a boring evening at home." I'm ok with that, too. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment