Friday, July 3, 2015

The Possum

A few weeks ago we were first introduced to our possum, the kids and I call her "Shirley". The first couple of times she came around we found her in the trash can in the little bathroom right outside our bedroom- both times in the middle of the night. The first time I didn't see it and Steven didn't get a good look so we thought (hoped) it was just a mouse. The second time as it ran scared to death around Steven's legs, out of the bathroom, and towards a screaming me, we got a good look and it was definitely a baby possum. A couple of days later I went to Charlotte for a sweet week with my folks- taking the big three to VBS at my parent's church every morning and getting to spend some time with my BFF from growing up. While gone Steven hired a "possum guy" who came, set out traps (all we caught were squirrels), but assured us a couple weeks ago that nothing else could get in. All is well, so we thought.
Tonight, after the kids were asleep, we were watching tv in the den and while fast forwarding (gotta love DVR) we both heard a noise. I fully expected to maybe just see a little mouse so I bravely walked in the pantry and flipped the light on. This is where my bravery ends. I looked at a spice jar knocked over and then eye to eye with a possum. Steven has been trying to get me to stop the reactionary noises (gasping, etc) over minute things, such as realizing I forgot the sugar or anything minor in the car. Tonight was an exception- he holds no hard feelings toward my screaming. He very bravely took that possum on, what a man. I assisted by grabbing an empty trash can, throwing it at him, then jumping on top of the washing machine while yelling that he should call our neighbor Patrick. He actually shut the pantry door behind him, and it was a scuffle I tell you. Amazingly, he captured the thing in between a bucket and trash can and threw all three things out the back door. As the little creature was running away I actually yelled "and don't come back!" I'm sure she'll take that to heart. Previously, I didn't really think Steven's bravery was much greater than mine but my opinion has changed tonight. I think he can do anything, now! Hopefully our possum days are behind us, though.
It's funny, we just spent an amazing week at Skyland Bible Conference. We go every year, but this year the speakers just really challenged me to live unconditionally for Christ. I was struggling a bit with the fears that come along in this life- maybe the Lord is trying to start small with me to show me that by His grace I can face scary things. On a serious note, He truly does equip us with what we need, when we need it, be it facing a possum or a true trial in life, suffering or persecution. I know I serve a mighty God and He is faithful, praise His name!

No comments:

Post a Comment