Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Comparisons

My baby girl is 1! I can't believe it. I've been feeling nostaglic with her birthday happening last week, on the actual day we had 6-8 inches of snow! It was so pretty, and fun to be home with my babies. Sadie made her a doughnut cake with white donuts and a candle, it was sweet (and smart since all those donuts were suddenly within reach). We celebrated with a little party on Saturday night, I'll post some pictures from that later. Today was her 1 year check up at the doctor and she was a whopping 15 pounds, 6 ounces. She's just riding right on her little curve, just like Sadie did. I went and found the rap sheet for the other three kids to compare their weights....and tonight got a little carried away with the comparisons. I can see a little bit of Mary Jo in each of them. 1 year olds are so much fun. 

 






The first picture is Eli, the next David, and the last is my Sadie, all around the same age as Mary Jo is now. At 12 months Sadie weighed 16 pounds, Eli 19, and David 20. It's amazing that I nursed all of them and they all grew so differently. As Steven liks to say, "they come from a long line of shrimps."
I was walking with the boys to the bus stop today, holding Eli's hand, when he started whining and saying his legs were tired. My first reaction was to lecture him about not complaining, etc, when he very sweetly said, "Mama, why don't you ever carry me anymore?" I stopped in my tracks and picked him up. He put his littls arms around my neck and after about 15 steps he said he was ok, he could walk now. It made an impresssion on me, after all he is nearly 5, and I have 2 children younger than him, but he still needs that TLC just as much. Tonight I was trying to catch up on my bible study notes in Matthew 18, where Jesus talks about having faith like a little child. I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach when I read "Children choose a parent's arms above those of anyone." I'm so thankful that I still have children that want to be in my arms... because I know this is fleeting. And what a great and humbling lesson that I should be dependent on the Lord, desiring His presence, like my children want to be with me. I hope I'll always remember those sweet arms around my neck, and even more importantly that it will always reminds me to cling to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment