Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Diet update, bowling, and big brothers.

January has been a good month so far. Steven and I have been dieting together, which is actually kinda fun. And this low carb business works! This is the first time, other than cutting out sweets for a month, that I've done an actual diet. The beauty of this is it doesn't retrict calories, so I really haven't been hungry! I've been sad, like when I was making homemade pancakes (see my little helper in the above picture) and I had to eat a lousy excuse of a pancake made out of soy flour an almond milk. Most of the recipes from the book are good but the pancakes were a flop. Steven has done awesome, and lost twice as much as I have, I think his body was like "what in the world is going on?" Steamed broccoli with cheddar cheese is like dessert to me. And spinach smoothies are my new treat. I cant get anyone in my family to try it, though! 

 Enough about the diet, thankfully it has not consumed our lives. While I have one or two kids that are becoming helpful around the house, I still have a lot of work with this one. One of her favorite activities is now unloading the dishwasher while I'm cleaning up the kitchen. Oh well, we wont kick her out just yet for not pulling her weight. 
Steven had two speaking engagements in Richmond, VA, so we had two little family weekends this month. The first one we left in time to make a matinee movie, but got up there to find the times had changed, so we went bowling instead. It was really cute!! The kids loved it. Sadie could do it all by herself, as could Eli. D needed a little help. 



We took turns helping him roll it, and each kid got a spare all on their own! (with bumpers, or course). 

The ball rolled so slowly but he intently watched it every time. 

Mary Jo was cute onlooker. 

Big brothers are the best. Thankfully, David has done a 180 with his attitude towards Mary Jo. He actually tries to pick her up (which is discouraged, of course), he keeps a lookout for when she is climbing the stairs, and he shares toys with her. The other day Steven was trying to train her not to climb the stairs and he hurt her feelings over it - but it just devastated D, he was crying more than she was. 

Eli, on the other hand, has always been sweet to her. He lights up when he sees her and talks to her in baby talk. Here they are at Chuck E Cheese, he's holding her tight on a ride. I pray both boys are always protective of her, guiding her in this crazy, sinful world. I really want my kids to be close, now and as adults. We had the privelege of spending one of the afternoons in Richmond with the Brown family of 13, the kids ranging from 3-23. Taking our kids somewhere for an entire afternoon is usually stressful - but not at this home. Their kids were great, not just to my kids but to each other. It was clear to see that they were close-knit, they truly cared about one another and worked together as a family. I think Sadie would have happily stayed - they had 3 little girls around her age. What a blessing they were to us, and an encouragement as we try to raise our little family so that our kids turn out like their young adults. The Lord knows what we need! Oh that note, He and I know I need to get some sleep, so I'm out! - 

No comments:

Post a Comment